Skip to main content

Out with the Old, In with the New

This summer before school started for Olivia I made it a priority to go through her closet and pull out any clothes that she had outgrown and pack them up to either keep or donate.  She was so funny while we did this together. When we came across something that no longer fit her, but she really liked, she would say, "Keep this for memories, Mommy!" Ha! She's heard me talk about the boxes and boxes of her baby clothes that I can't part with, saying I needed them for memories. Such a sweet girl.  Well, today, I was doing the same in Judah's closet. This guy is growing so fast I feel like I'm in his closet every other month pulling things out! I was shocked that I packed up 2 boxes full of clothes that no longer fit him, or things he'd been given that I didn't think he'd ever wear.


When I was done in Judah's closet I was able to hang up all his new clothes I've just gotten him and really see all he has, maybe what he might still needs (Scott would say nothing!), and the things he has in bigger sizes that he'll need to grow in to.  I began to think about a conversation I had with Scott just yesterday about serving and volunteering.  We were talking about where I would be serving in the church on Sundays and how to schedule things to best fit our family's schedule.  Judah is at the age now that he doesn't quietly sit in church during the message anymore, so my plan is to start putting him in to the nursery to play. This will free me up some for serving in a couple different areas.  Many people, especially in marriage, take time once or twice a year (or even more) to sit down and evaluate their schedules.  In our family, we do this in a couple different areas.  Scott and I sit down and schedule out date nights, family fun days, Mommy/Olivia and Daddy/Olivia dates, Scott's ministry schedule, and now that school is back, Olivia's school schedule.  As I pulled things from my kids closets and thought about what no longer fit, what was still too big, and what things just "didn't work" I was reminded of how important it is to use this tool in scheduling and prioritizing our family.  


What areas are we serving that still fit? What areas no longer fit (or are working)? What areas still need growth?  These are all questions we should ask ourselves when it comes to our church life, our family life, or even our personal life.  Is having my quiet time early in the morning still working, or does it need to be moved in order to get the most out of it? Is this the right season to be serving in that particular area of ministry? Has God finished his work in me and others in that particular ministry?


We need to be strategic in the things we give our time to. God has given us our priority list already, we just need to walk it out.  He's called us to make HIM first, followed by our spouse, our children and family, the church, and then all other things.  "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Luke 12:34  What do you give most or your time to? What has your focus? Have you outgrown an area of ministry? Do you need to move on to something bigger? What areas do you need to continue growing in to be able to fit into the next area of ministry?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s