Skip to main content

Honoring God by Honoring Your Husband

While you’re dating someone, it’s easy to love the man you’re in a relationship with. You probably don’t notice all his flaws or the things that get under your skin and drive you insane.  You are probably blissfully unaware of how things, for many couples, will change once you exchange the rings. Once the “honeymoon” stage is over, reality sets in and then it starts.  It becomes harder to excuse certain behaviours or habits, harder to forgive, and sometimes even harder to love (in the form of a verb).

Many wives begin to find themselves asking why they should honor their husband. Why should I forgive him over and over? Why should I boast about him in front of my friends? Why should I overlook his flaws and focus on the good? The answer becomes, “because that is what God does”. 

The questions in our mind about whether or not to honor, respect, and submit to our husband becomes a question of whether or not we’re going to honor, respect, and submit to Jesus Christ. We honor God when we honor our husbands. We boast about God when we boast about our husband. We see as God sees when we overlook the flaws in our husband. We have been forgiven; therefore we must forgive.

When we start to believe that our husband must “earn” these things from us, we have forgotten how much grace God has poured out over us. God doesn’t love us because we’ve earned it. God doesn’t forgive us because we’ve passed some test and earned his forgiveness. We don’t earn blessings from our Father; they are gifts, freely given. You don’t show up to a birthday party with a gift for someone, and then pull them aside to say, “OK, that will be $50.” Gifts are always free. A “gift” is literally defined as “something given voluntarily without payment in return”.  

But you know, God’s grace, his forgiveness, and his mercy all came with a price. The good news is that Jesus Christ paid the price of those gifts by dying on the cross for each of us. The definition of “gift” also goes on to say, “As to show favour to someone”. Not only is God’s favor on each of us when He shows us mercy, grace, and forgiveness, but we show God's favor to others when we grant them those same gifts.

One of my favorite verses from a song are “Heal my heart and make it clean, open up my eyes to the things you’ve seen, show me how to love like you’ve loved me, break my heart for what breaks yours, everything I am for your Kingdom’s cause, as I walk from earth into eternity” from Brooke Fraser’s song “Hosanna”. We are called to become like Jesus. We are called to think like Him, see like Him, and hurt like He does. We need to look at our husband like God sees him. We need to speak about our husband like God does. We need to forgive as He forgives. When we do these things we are honoring the Most High God. Forget about whether or not your husband “deserves” it at the time or not. Jesus didn’t “deserve” to be beaten, spit on, humiliated, and hung to die on a cross.  Better yet, thank God we don't get what we deserve! Our Heavenly Father looks past what we deserve and loves us because that is who He is. The word “love” is used 314 times in the Bible. I think that’s enough to assume that “God is love”.

This idea also applies to those who are single. You are not exempt because you are not married. We are called to the same things in relationships with others. When we honor those around us, we honor God. When we look past their flaws, we are seeing them as God sees them. When we speak highly of others, we are speaking highly of our Creator because of course he created everything in heaven and on earth in His image. 

You know, sometimes I wonder how much it breaks the heart of God to hear some of the things we think and say aloud. When we criticize, ridicule, and judge others, I can’t help but think God must be so upset that we would diminish what he Himself designed and created. We wouldn’t walk up to a new mother holding her baby and openly say, “Your baby really is so ugly. What a spoiled brat you have! Don’t you ever change their clothes, wash their body?” So why do we continue to struggle to see people as God sees them?  Proverbs 10:32 says, “The lips of the godly speak helpful words, but the mouth of the wicked speaks perverse words.” Sam Levenson and Audrey Hepburn wrote a quote that starts like this, “For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.” 

When you find it hard to act out these things in your marriage or other relationships, think about how you may be honoring or dishonoring God. It becomes much easier to grant our husband forgiveness when we remember how much God has forgiven us. When we submit to our husband, we are submitting to God. We honor God when we honor others. We boast about God and all he is when we lift up others. We see others like God does when we look for the good instead of the bad. Hopefully, in most marriages, we view our husband as someone new and incredible that God has brought into our lives.  Our lives are fuller and more complete than before. Just like when we become believers, God makes Jesus new and incredible in our lives. Something that was missing before is now filled. Instead of moaning and groaning, gossiping and sheltering bitterness and resentment, we should thank God for bringing the man He did into our lives and making them fuller. I don’t think anyone feels bad after saying the words “thank you” to someone. Maybe we should learn to say “thank you” to God more frequently until our head falls in line with our heart.  Stop thinking about why your husband might not deserve forgiveness, respect, and honor, and start thinking about all the reasons our God does deserve all these things!

Comments

  1. I'm really loving this post today!! Thanks for the word of encouragement. Not that I really have very much to complain about anyway, since my man is most awesome! But sometimes I grumble about stupid things....and boy could I use a dose of reality when viewing my relationships with other people and even people I don't know! So thanks for the reminder! I am oh so humbly His! Nothing of myself is good, except what He has made good in me! So why in the world do I think it's ok for me to point out any minor flaw in anyone else?! I've got enough flaws of my own to concentrate on and be thankful for forgiveness and grace! No time to judge others! Big ole plank in my eye!!



    Ps....I'm inviting you to my next birthday....$50!!!! That's a pretty nice birthday gift! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I pray you never allow your spirit to slump into a big pile of complaints about Corey! It becomes all too easy to go there sometimes. He`s a lucky man!
    Glad you enjoyed this post! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s