Skip to main content

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16).


So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to make up stories and write them down.  I've always had a desire to perfect my writing skills, but I know the one thing that can really help is to: write more.  I've kept prayer journals here and there, but have never gone longer than a couple of weeks writing consistently in them.  I'm the type of person that has to write something down in order to remember it. I think I get this from my dad. He's famous, or infamous really, for his list-making. I can remember finding lists and lists and lists of his around the house. Don't ask if those lists got accomplished. I won't go there! (Ha, love you Dad!) Anyway, I like to make lists for 2 reasons. 1. So I can remember things. 2. To check them off the list. The other reason I like to write is it frees up my head to focus on other things. I'm a busy mom like any other, and it's almost therapeutic for me to let the words run from my brain to the pages.  I should really do this more. I can feel myself rambling.


Anyway, my resolution is to begin writing more. I've got dreams I need to put to paper in order to put them to action. I've got memories I want recorded in more than one place. That reminds me, I need to take more pictures of my family. We all have so much to do in so little time, and that's one of the most debilitating feelings: not accomplishing everything you need to. I need to use my time more wisely. I guess this blog may turn in to therapy for me. I'll probably brag about my family lots. I'm sure I'll post struggles or prayer requests, but most of all I just want to keep this up for me. To do something I truly love to do.


So here I go......hope you enjoy.


P.S. 5-yr goal of mine: to write a book. Hold me to it! :)

Comments

  1. I love you, and I love your heart! What a joy and a privilege it is (and will be) to get to hear what's rolling around in that awesome brain God gave you! Can't wait to read the next installment (and then the book)! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Aunt Joelle! It will probably be very random, scatter-brained, and maybe even loony at times. But, God slips some great things in there every once and a while, and I always say I'll write them down as wisdom for the future, so here it goes. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!!!! I have a few blogs that I follow of friends and I love reading them! It's theraputic for me to read others' writing! :) I love to know what's going on with the people I love, but I've learned so much about life in general from reading these blogs! My youth pastor's wife keeps a blog! She started hers when they began the road to adoption! It originated as an adoption blog! Now, it's mostly just a "life" blog! She writes about all kinds of stuff going on! Some serious, some funny, some just everyday stuff....but then she takes and makes all of her posts into a book. She has a copy for each of her kiddos! I think that's the coolest thing and one of the best things a mom could do for her kids! They have memories but they also have life lessons that they will know how their mom handled and how to (or not to) handle them when they come across them in their own lives! :D

    Anyway...I say all that to say:
    1) WAHOO!! I'm so excited you are writing a blog! I will certainly be a "follower!"

    and 2) You should so read my youth pastor's blog! You would love it! :) Let me know if you want her link! She has to send you an invite as her blog is private, but I know she wouldn't mind a fellow mommy and a fellow pastor's wife reading! ;)

    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, Taylor! I'd love to read your Youth Pastor's blog. Thanks for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I was reading this I caught myself nodding at each point you brought up and saying Yep, that's me too. Haha, I've always loved writing too, and have tried prayer journals but can never successfully keep them up. You've motivated me to be better about blogging! I promise to be, and if you need an editing eye for your book you can send it my way. I love editing stuff along with writing. About a year ago I felt the Lord put on my heart to write a book I just haven't done it yet. Can't wait to keep track of you on here even more, and I must say thank God for technology! With Twitter, Facebook, Blogging and Skype I feel like I'm closer to you now than I have been in a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s