Skip to main content

Worship is a Response


A tweet early this morning from Louie Giglio stirred me. It said, "The question is not primarily "what will you get out of Church?" but "what will you bring." #worshipisaresponse"



 I was immediately convicted of an attitude I've suffered from before. What will I get out of church today? What is the praise and worship going to do for me today? What is the message going to do for me today? The problem with all of these questions, and attitude of these questions, is that they all focus on ME. What will Church do for ME? Church isn't about me. Worship isn't about me. God's Word isn't about me (at least not me in the sense of "only me").

I remember a time when Scott asked me to do an offering message at one of his youth services. I immediately thought of what the word "offering" meant. The first definition of the word is, "something offered in worship or devotion, as to a deity; an oblation or sacrifice". So that's the "Christian" definition, but even more raw is the 3rd meaning. "Anything offered as a gift." When speaking to a group who is under the age of working I always stress the importance of an "offering to God" in the form of a sacrifice more than a traditional "tithe" in the form of money. It's important for children learn the importance of tithing to God from a young age, but I also believe in teaching them that even before they make an income that they can give an offering to God. I always encourage young people to look at their talents or things they love to do as a perfect starting point to giving an offering to God. This may look like volunteering in the children's ministry, writing cards to members of the Church who are sick or feeling down, or even just going out of your way to befriend someone you wouldn't normally sacrifice time for. With the right heart, all these things can be an offering. I thought of something many people in the US, and especially in the South, could relate to. Fall in the South means one word: College Football. In late August, early September 100,000 fans file into Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. Tens of thousands more tailgate downtown or watch from home. All dressed in red and black, fans stand sometimes for all 4 quarters cheering for their beloved Bulldogs. There is a lot of preparation that goes into a football Saturday. I described what this looks like to these teenage Canadians (UGA's stadium is almost twice as big as Edmonton's professional football stadium). I told them if those same 100,000 people prepared to be in God's House the way they did to be in Sanford Stadium then they'd understand True Worship. True Worship is a lifestyle. If people got as excited to be in Church as they did for their favorite sport's team or concert, then they'd probably understand that worship is a response. If people planned and prepared (read and prayed) for Church the way they do for a football Saturday, then they'd probably "get" worship more. Worship isn't about us. It's about Him. Worship isn't about how good the band plays, or what songs they play, it's about an offering to God. It's about honoring our Father. The attitude of "what about me?" has no place in worship. This brings me to my next thought about worship.

Another time I was asked to bring the offering message in Church I began to think of an idea that most Southerner's could relate to. (I don't know if you notice I like to keep my Southern roots even up here in Canada!) The idea was "what would you do if someone invited you over to their house for dinner or some type of dinner party?" Your "response" would be "what can I bring?" If they assured you that you only needed to show up you would most likely still prepare and bring something. The same idea should relate to worshipping our Creator. We need to PREPARE and BRING SOMETHING. It's not about us. It's about Him. We need to get our heart in the right place. Prepare (pray) and bring something (our worship of God). It's mostly been my experience growing up in the South that you wouldn't show up to a dinner party empty handed and wondering "what am I going to get out of this?" You might wonder what will be for dinner and who will be there, but you probably aren't dragging your attitude of "This food better be good. This conversation and company better be good. What's in this for me?" around with you.

Sadly, this is the attitude that many people drag into Church with them on Sundays. "What's in it for me?" "Am I going to like the music, the message today?" Worship is a response.  It SHOULD be our offering to our Heavenly Father giving thanks for who He is and what He's done for us. God is given many names. Worship is the time to "call names" to God. I dare you to enter your place of worship (yes, some people don't realize that worship shouldn't only take place inside the 4 walls or whatever Church you call home) of God and address him as "Father, Most High God, Lord of Lords, King of Kings, Jehovah-Yaweh, El-Shaddai, Prince of Peace, even Daddy" Most people only go by 1 or 2 names, but our God is all of these and many, many more! Worship is to focus on HIM! In a couple of hours I will be heading to church. My spirit is already being prepared to worship Him! I am very aware of what I want my attitude to be this morning. I'm determined not to enter that building with a selfish, "what about me?" attitude. Worship is a response. Worship is a lifestyle.

Louie Giglio, "Some come to church to worship, but it's better to come worshipping to church. #worshipisalifestyle"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s