Skip to main content

The Dating Divas

If you're married you know how seasons come along where it becomes sometimes more difficult to keep your "dating life" going strong. After a very busy summer for our family, and the start of the school year/church ministries/etc, I felt like my marriage had reached that season.  Although Scott and I spent a lot of time together this summer, we were always busy and on-the-go with family, and I began to feel like we never spent time alone, dating each other like we used to.  Married couples know all too well that sometimes "life" gets in the way of your marriage. There comes a time where marriage isn't "easy" anymore, and sometimes you really have to "work" at it.

I started following people on Twitter that were offering great, Godly marital advice. Through one of them I found this website called www.thedatingdivas.com  It is awesome! You have to check it out. They post tons of date ideas along with a bunch of other really helpful advice!  Scott and I have made a commitment to going on a date once a week where 2 dates a month can cost $$$, but the other 2 are usually cheap ideas (like a movie date at home after the kids are asleep).  A lot of my date plans have come from ideas I saw on the Dating Divas website.  It's helped to put the romance and excitement back into dating my husband again.

One note that may be helpful for other wives out there.  I began to feel like there wasn't enough romance in my marriage.  I held very high expectations for my husband and the dates he was to plan, but always felt let-down. Don't get me wrong, any time alone with Scott was great, but I always hoped for this super-romantic, Hollywood movie-worthy date night, and was left disappointed.  Not only are those expectations unrealistic, but we all know the danger of placing super-high expectations on our spouse.  I kept thinking if Scott would be more romantic, then we'd have a better marriage.  Then, one night we co-planned a date night. We went to a bowling alley and played 3 games, then played a game of laser tag, and finished off with ice cream at Marble Slab.  This date might not seem over-the-top, but honestly, it was one of my favorite dates to memory! The reason being, we LAUGHED together. Somehow in the busyness of "life" I forgot how important laughter is in the life of marriage.  I forgot that before I met Scott if you asked me what I was looking for in a husband I would have said, "someone that makes me laugh". All of a sudden that night while we were bowling, laughing, and having fun together I realized THAT'S what was missing. So, my advice would be, maybe your marriage is missing laughter. It is so important to laugh together, and in our case, sometimes AT each other! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s