Skip to main content

The Important Things


A couple of days ago I read a post from one of my favorite pastors/speakers/writers Chris Caine. Many of you may know her from all the recent (and long overdue) media exposure she's getting for the A21 Campaign against Human Trafficking.  The post was about all the chaos that comes in the days and weeks leading up to kids heading back to school. She had been shopping all over for certain pieces to complete her daughters' school uniforms. Her daughters expressed the seriousness of having all the "right" things to complete their looks. You know that phrase, "Mom, I HAVE to have those shoes. I'll just DIE if I don't get that headband. Everyone will laugh at me if I don't get this or that!" Chris found herself racing all over town, visiting store after store to make everything "perfect" for her girls when she remember what were truly the important things. I've copied this from that post:


"In order for my girls to navigate life well, I better teach them how to:
Ensure the belt of truth is buckled tightly around their waist
Attach the breast plate of righteousness securely
Have their feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of peace
Take up the shield of faith
Put on the helmet of salvation
Pick up the sword of the Spirit and use it effectively"



That's so profound for me! In the midst of the chaos of back-to-school shopping and worrying about matching outfits with shoes, keeping hair looking nice, and all-in-all just trying to "keep it all together", she points out what is TRULY important.


Tonight, I sit here looking around at my house. Picking my brain to make sure I haven't forgotten anything for Olivia's first day of school (full days here, people!). I had this whole "plan" in my head. Remember, I'm a planner, a list-maker, aka a control freak! My plan was that my house would be cleaned and put back together after an incredibly busy summer. Closets would be cleaned out and organized. Clothes would be put away. Laundry would be back to a normal routine. Clothes laid out. Bags packed. What is reality? I'm sitting here looking at toys scattered, a trail of laundry into the laundry room, dishes in the sink, a mess on the counters, and kids FINALLY in bed 30minutes to an hour LATER than planned. The good news? Kids are clean. Full tummies. Clothes picked out. Lunch for Olivia is made. Bags are packed. Overall, I can't worry about the little things. I HAVE to focus on what's important. And that is my family is healthy, happy, and blessed! Sure, it's easy to worry about the little things. The key is not to fret over them. There will always be time for a clean house. Probably after my kids are grown and not living at home anymore! But then, what to do with Scott?! Just kidding! But seriously, I'm reminded of a saying from my Dad. It drives all the women in our family crazy, but it's true. "You're worrying about the WRONG thing (or thang, in his words)!"  I've got to make sure I'm not worrying about the wrong thing, or even worrying at all. Trust in the Lord, for He is GOOD!

One day my kids won't be around all the time to make messes. One day they won't have piles and piles of laundry at my house for me to keep up with. One day I won't have to make lunches and snacks for them. Or pick out their clothes. Besides, Olivia barely lets me do that anymore! One day I won't get to read them bedtime stories and tuck them in with kisses.

For now, I'll take the dirty laundry, dishes, messes, and chaos. I love my family more than anything, and THAT'S what's important. Thank you Jesus for a healthy, happy, and blessed family! Without the love of God, we have nothing!

Comments

  1. Steph, this idea completely hit home with me last week as I was reading about Mary and Martha. I constantly am having to keep myself from making lists and obsessing over everything being perfect. I love what Christine says about keeping in mind what is truly important, not what we think is. Just like Jesus said to Martha: "She has chosen what is better...". Thank you for posting this and reminding me once again how crucial it is for us to have hearts like Mary. Time is flying by and I sure don't want to miss out on anything bc I was too busy! by the way, Olivia looked 16 in the picture you took! She is BEAUTIFUL! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, so glad one of my posts spoke to you! You too will soon understand how easy it is to get swept up by the "busy mom" life! Christine had another post yesterday about taking time out that also hit home for me! I have to slow myself down sometimes and just get everything back into perspective!
    Thanks for the comment on Olivia's picture! Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s