Skip to main content

Blessed

Do you ever have one of those days where you just feel thankful, emotional, overwhelmed, and undeserving all together? We need to feel that way more often about the way God continues to bless us, but today I had a couple reminders of just how blessed I am. It was one of those "Indescribable" "How Great is Our God" days.


I dropped into Olivia's school to check on her for her first day back after the accident on the playground. I ate lunch with her and made sure she was feeling OK. We are so blessed to have her at the school where she is. I actually got a call from one of the secretaries the other day saying they were all praying for her after the playground incident. Hearing that after Olivia telling me how one of the teachers that was her teacher in preschool came over to pray for her swarmed my heart with gratitude.  How amazing it is to hear people say "we're praying for your daughter in school".  What a freeing and encouraging thing to know your kids are in a school that are open and excited about prayer. As I walked her in to school this morning and had people stop to ask how she was doing, I was so blown away by the kindness of others. Not only that, but I remembered one little important thing that I became so grateful for. Had Olivia fallen on the playground exactly 7 days earlier, she would have been all banged up for her school pictures. I know that sounds vain or unimportant, but it was a little thing I was thankful for. She is at the age now where she really cares what she looks like, and I know she would have been so self-conscious about having her picture taken with a swollen mouth, crooked teeth, and huge cut on her gums.


After I had lunch with Olivia, I was walking through the neighborhood where our church is, and decided to drop in the school where my mother-in-law works. I did this last week on a whim, but she had gone home early that day. Today, I thought I would surprise her and let her show Judah off to all her co-workers. It was such a treat for her.  While there, we spent some time in a special-ed classroom where two students were playing. Both had severe disabilities, and one actually had a seizure while we were in the room. He must have them all the time by the way the teachers were reacting to it. My heart broke for that child. For his family. Judah was even trying to play with him a bit.  My eyes welled up, and my heart cried out to God in thanksgiving for the health of both my kids.  It shouldn't have to take seeing someone who's really sick or disabled to make you thankful for your kids, but sometimes we're guilty of taking our kids and their health for granted.  I prayed the whole walk back to the church and thanked God for my beautiful, healthy, growing, and amazing kids. They really are the light of my life, and being a mom is the greatest gift in the world!


As I got close to the church (I'm still walking at this time), I decided to keep walking and just enjoy the nice, fall weather.  The neighborhood where our church is really is my favorite at this time of the year. The trees are just absolutely beautiful! Each street I would cross over was the picture-perfect image of fall. Yellow leaves lined the sides of the road. Tall, gold and orange trees stretched to the sky and grew over to each other. It was just breath-taking! It sounds silly, but I seriously got emotional thinking about the artist God is. Amazing that he made everything from those magnificent trees to the blades of freshly cut grass on each lawn. I really just tried to take it all in, enjoy, and give thanks for the beauty that is all around us everyday. Again, another thing many of us take for granted most of the time.


So I may be hormonal, or just super-sensitive and emotional today, but these were a few of the things I felt blessed by today! God is amazing!

Comments

  1. God must really be trying to speak to me about my kids. Just heard a pastor from Hillsong lost his 10-wk-old son today. They've had several heart-breaking losses too. So devastating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s