Skip to main content

There is Love and Blessing in the Testing

Just days after writing a post about resisting sin and not conforming to the world's standards, I almost had to laugh at the irony of God's testing of myself and my faith. Here is that post. Last night, I discovered that with the upgrade of our cable package I now get a few of my favorite networks that I haven't had since moving to Canada. Included in our package are Food Network, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), TV Tropolis, and several others I used to enjoy. Among the first shows I flipped through, I was almost too excited to see "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" and the "Real Housewives" series.

 I shamefully admit that I used to love watching reality shows like those mentioned, but never saw anything wrong with it because I wasn't copying any of their behaviors in my own life. What I didn't realize though, was the affect those shows can have on your mind and your heart. Proverbs 4:23 says, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do." It's easy to get caught up in the glitz and glamour of shows like that. Some people may even grow to idolize the characters shown on television. Even when I would argue that it was not harmful, I should have read on to the next verse in my Bible. Verse 24 says, "Avoid all perverse talk; stay far from corrupt speech." Those few words end any argument about what we should and shouldn't be entertained or surrounded by.

So, after watching just 2 minutes of the show, I felt the Holy Spirit prompting me to examine myself and remember everything I feel convicted by in movies like "Magic Mike" and the book series "50 Shades of Grey". Though my only real interest in these shows is honestly to admire the expensive clothing, shoes, and handbags, the attitudes and drama that come along with it are, if I admit it, very unhealthy.  I had to smile because I was thankful for God's nudge to choose what is "good and pleasing" (Romans 12:2) in His eyes. I knew it was in love that the Lord whispered to my soul in hopes that I would listen and He could protect me from the things of this world. There is always a blessing at the end of the testing. Feeling His love was that blessing for me.

In Genesis 22, God tested the faith and obedience of Abraham by asking him to sacrifice his beloved son, Isaac. Could you imagine? Your only son, and God asks you to sacrifice him. What's important though, is knowing that God wouldn't ask any of us to do what He hasn't already done himself. Jesus is God's only Son. He sacrificed the most precious thing in the world so that you and I can live for all of eternity with him. So, he tested Abraham. Abraham passed the test with flying colors too! He gathered his son and a couple of his servants and climbed up to the mountain where God asked Abraham to kill his only son. Abraham went as far as building the alter and tying up his son, placing him on top of the alter, and pulling out the knife. An angel of the Lord shouted from heaven for him to stop. Verse 12 says, "Lay down the knife, the angel said, Do not hurt the boy in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld even your beloved son from me." Along with love, there is blessing in the testing. We are blessed when we choose good. Later in chapter 22, God reveals his blessing to Abraham. Verse 15 says, "Then the angel of the Lord called again to Abraham from heaven, 'This is what the Lord says: Because you have obeyed me and have not withheld even your beloved son, I swear by my own self that I will bless you richly. I will multiply your descendants into countless millions, like the stars of the sky and the sand on the seashore. They will conquer their enemies, and through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed-all because you have obeyed me.'" There came blessing at the end of Abraham's testing.

So, although the test may not be pleasant, God fully intends to bless for you it. Maybe God is testing your faith, like He was me, or maybe He is testing your patience. Whatever the "test" you feel you're in, know that if you hang on, and stand firm in His promises, there will be a blessing at the end of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s