Skip to main content

Secure Leadership

Romans 12:8 "If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously."


What do secure leaders do?
1. Secure leaders raise up other leaders.

Ephesians 4:11-13 "He is the one who gave these gifts to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God's people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ, until we come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God's Son that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up the full stature of Christ."

Jesus didn't carry out his ministry and mission alone, hoarding all of his knowledge and talents to himself.  He was secure in his leadership abilities; not fearing that if others shined, he would shine less. He raised up the 12 disciples around him and poured into all of them so that they would be leaders as well.

Jehoshaphat was a perfect example of a leader that raised up leaders around him. First, the Bible says in 2Chronicles 17:7 that Jehoshaphat sent out his officials to teach the Gospel in all the towns of Judah. He sent out over 15 leaders to teach the people of Judah, and verse 10 says, "Then the fear of the Lord fell over all the surrounding kingdoms so that none of them declared war on Jehoshaphat."
Chris Caine said, "When strong leaders are secure, they can release strong leaders."

2. Secure leaders encourage others to lead. 
Joseph was nicknamed "Barnabas" by the disciples, which means, "Son of Encouragement". In chapter 9 of Acts, when Saul (later Paul) had become converted and went out to preach the Good News, Joseph saw something in him that others at the time did not. While the believers in Jerusalem were afraid of Saul, thinking he was only pretending to be a believer, Joseph encouraged him by taking him to the apostles and telling them how Saul had seen the Lord and how boldly Saul preached in the name of Jesus. When Joseph observed the leadership abilities in Saul, he encouraged him, and shared with others what he saw in him too. Secure leaders don't stifle or suppress the talents of others around them. Again, paraphrased from Chris Cain, "The more secure a leader is, the more they love to see others lead."

3. Secure leaders are always under leadership themselves.
Mark 10:43 "Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be the slave of all. For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many."


Galatians 5:25 "If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every part of our lives."

Proverbs 10:17 "People who accept correction are on the pathway to life, but those who ignore it will lead others astray."

Even Jesus himself was under the authority and leadership of God. Being a leader doesn't mean you're above leadership and authority. Often times, those in the highest places of leadership need to be held accountable in the greatest way. Secure leaders submit to authority and leadership set above them.


4. Secure leaders stay true to who they are. They don't pretend to be someone else.

Ephesians 4:16 "Under his direction, the whole body is fitted together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love."

We have all been gifted by God in a truly unique way. We have strengths and weaknesses. Leaders are more effective when they work in their gifting instead of trying to imitate the gifts of other leaders.

1 Timothy 4:16 The Message. "Keep a firm grasp on both your character and your teaching. Don't be diverted. Just keep at it. Both you and those who hear you will experience salvation."

The more secure a person is in the image of Christ, the more free they are to lead. They won't constantly be trying to reflect what they see in others, but instead will try to reflect what they see in Christ. When we let go of trying to imitate the look, style, technique, and methods of other leaders, we are more capable of fully using our own strengths, fully improving our own weaknesses, and therefore fully walking out our own purpose and destiny.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s