Skip to main content

Go in and possess the land!

The Sunday before we left for Vancouver I watched a live video stream of a church I'm pretty fond of. The bonus was that Chris Caine, founder of The A21 Campaign which I've written lots on, was in town speaking this weekend. I could not have started my Sunday any better than hearing her pour her heart out on that stage. I'm still reeling from her message! God is SO at work in my right now, and I just had to share some of her message for y'all!

She was talking about Moses, Joshua, and the Israelites when God led them into the promised land. If you know the story about the Israelites, you know that God promised their ancestors land for their descendants. He led them out of Egypt and out from under the rule of Pharaoh, and sent them on the journey into this new life set aside for them. What was supposed to take just 11 days, took over 40 years.

Here's where her message picked up.  Deuteronomy 7:1 says, "When the LORD your God brings you into the land you are about to possess and occupy, he will clear away many nations ahead of you." The Israelites were able to wipe out many nations along the way even though these nations were bigger, stronger, and more powerful. The Lord went before them and gave them victories they could not have had on their own.

She talked about how too many churches are just trying to maintain things the way they are, waiting it out until Jesus comes again. More churches need to "go in to possess" new land for Jesus. We have to do 5 things when going in to posses new lands.
1. Cut away some things
Joshua 5:1 (2nd circumcisions for the Israelites) Every generation has to pay a price. The new generation born while in the wilderness weren't going to go in a reap the benefits of their elders without paying their price.
Hebrews 12 Throwing off weights and sins. Sometimes you have actual sin to get rid of. Other times, it's not necessarily sin, but weights you need to throw off. She mentioned how people could be those weights. Good people, but people that are holding you back from stepping into all the things God has called you in to.
2. Fill yourself with Jesus
We're filling ourselves with reality TV, movies about the very things that sent Jesus to the cross instead of filling ourselves with Jesus. A fantastic quote from Chris, "Get off facebook and get your face in the Book!"
3. Move on from where you are now.
The Israelites got all the way to the Jordan River where they were about to walk into the Promised Land, but hesitated, looked back. Sometimes we focus so much on things of the past that we miss the future God has for us NOW.
4. See what He sees.
God doesn't move in the same way always. He sees the bigger picture. He sees the end of the story.
5. Say what He says.
Take hold of God's promises. His Word is true. If He has promised it, say what He has promised, and take hold of that truth.

A couple other things she said that was just so on point. "Doubt and unbelief KILLS destiny." The Israelites had been promised this land by God, led through the wilderness, fed by God for 40 years, given many victories, and STILL they had doubts about whether it could be done. They assured themselves the last few nations were too strong to overtake because they forgot that with God, all things are possible! They were destined to reach their Promised Land. Doubt and unbelief KILLS destiny. She also said, "doubt dies unborn if it's unspoken!" The Bible is filled with verses about the power of our tongue. We give doubt power when we speak it. We shape our future with the words we speak. She asked some very challenging questions about the future we're shaping for our families, ourselves, our children by the words we speak over them.

I was so encouraged and so challenged by her message, but I know my frantically scribbled notes don't do justice to the pure gold that was coming from her mouth, so I encourage you to go listen to her message here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s