Skip to main content

Catching Up

Here's to catching up from 2011. I promised myself that during our Christmas holidays I wouldn't get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the retail-generated commotion of the holiday season. Yes, there would be gifts to buy and give, food to prepare and indulge in, sales to take advantage of, and "traditions" to keep up. I expected to take part in all of these things, but wanted to remind myself often of Psalm 46:10. The NLT version says this, "Be still and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world." In the midst of all the holiday traditions, I wanted to truly remember the reason for all the celebration. We have been in the U.S. for about 3 weeks now, and I can truly say that I've been able to slow down, enjoy the moment, and remember the reason for all our celebration.  Also, in keeping to tradition, I'm quite sure by the end of this trip I'll need a vacation from my vacation! That's the price you pay when you live so far from family and you feel you have to cram so much into your trip.


One thing I DIDN'T do while away with my family, is keep up with my blogging. I'm not disappointed though. I've had lots of ideas while being away, but wanted to completely submerge myself into my family and enjoy it along the way; no distractions! So, because I've been away for so long, I've got lots of "catching up" to do! Stay tuned...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s