Skip to main content

To Be Honest

I'm aware the phrase "to be honest" (or TBH as teenagers refer to it as) is floating around on facebook. I don't know how or where it started, but a lot of our youth are using the phrase to send each other messages about whatever topic, speaking honestly.? I didn't realize I needed a disclaimer placed in front of whatever I feel like sharing to others...I'm a pretty bluntly honest person. At any rate, I'm about to get brutally honest. This is not fun to admit, but I feel like the greatest lesson learned may be in being able to help someone else.


Today started out rough for me. (Big deal, you might say) I don't know why, and I don't know how, but I wasn't myself this morning (or I HOPE that's not myself). Because my day started rough, I made my family's day start rough. I woke up like normal, headed to the kitchen to make Olivia's breakfast and pack her lunch while she got dressed. When she came down, she sat at our counter to eat her breakfast, but when I passed her a cup of milk she grabbed it in a way that knocked the cup out of my hand, and it spilled all over the counter (and everything on the counter-guess that's a reason to keep your counter tops clutter-free). I snapped and got on to her (just minutes before she left with Scott to school). I was cranky as I got her coat and boots on and sent them on their way. Not a minute after they left did I feel AWFUL.


Many moms know what it's like to be stressed, or even just irritated by the littlest things; especially in the morning and especially if you have school-aged children. Right away, I knew it was time to go do my daily reading and prayer with God. I mentioned in a recent post how I'm doing the Daniel fast for 21 days. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it.  I immediately turned to the book of Daniel where I had left off reading the other night and came upon a verse that just struck me. Daniel 9:9 says, "But the Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him." WOW! Where those comforting words to hear. By this time I was swimming in guilt about sending my precious daughter off to school upset and irritated by her. To me, my job as a mother is to help everyone in my household start their days off happily, joyfully, and by helping them; NOT hurting them. This morning was a very clear reminder to me that I often struggle in that area, and that I need God NOW to help me correct it.


I immediately prayed for God's forgiveness, and then got a tweet from Pastor Brian Houston that said, "My prayer for you today is that you will find resolve in a challenging situation. God bless." OK, God, you've got my attention. Right away, I sent a text to Scott saying I was sorry how short-tempered I was and how frustrated I got with Olivia. I am seriously married to the most forgiving man I know. I love him so much for that because Lord knows, I need forgiveness!


This little incident probably doesn't seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but it was to me. I felt like I was standing back and watching myself and how I interact with my family, the people I love most on this earth, and how much-too-often I struggle with everyday kindness. I'm not a "mean" person, but I can always show more grace, forgiveness, and gentleness to my family. A lot of times we treat those we love and who are the closest to us the worst just because it's easy. God has definitely spoken up to me about this issue today, and I pray my words may be able to help you or someone you know. 


Here's a picture of my beautiful princess and me. God surely showed me GRACE when He brought her to me!




Galatians 5:22-23 NLT "But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce the kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s