Skip to main content

When you pray for wisdom

When I started this blog yesterday, I asked myself how frequently is enough to write here. At first, I thought once or twice a week would be enough. Then, I decided if I committed to posting each morning after my quiet time with God, that I would be more likely to achieve my goals for this blog. Clearing my head, recording what God is speaking to me, and maybe even being of some help to others.


So, this morning, I pray to God, open my Bible, and decide to flip to Psalm 14. Why Psalm 14? Because today is August 14. Sometimes if I'm not already deep into a story in the Bible, I will just flip to the Psalm that coordinates with the day of the month. I don't know, sometimes God speaks to me that way. This morning He definitely made his word clear.
I've prayed for wisdom lately. I wrote a little about my "list-making habits" in my first post, but it goes beyond that. I'm a planner by nature. I think many women are. We like to have "control". Or what we THINK is control. The men in my family tease us and say we have "control problems"; we laugh, but they're actually right in many ways. Anyway, I make lists, try to plan a day or week, or an upcoming situation in my life. Lately, it's been the next season for our family that I keep trying to "plan" or "control". So, Scott and I have continually prayed for God's wisdom and direction for the past couple of weeks. Back to Psalm 14.  What is the theme in this Psalm from David? The foolish and the wise. Wow, God! Thanks for the reminder! I've always been a stubborn, sometimes even hard-headed woman, and God has had to "slap me in the face" a few times in my life for me to wake up and "get it". The "it" I'm talking about is a revelation. Ps 14:2 says, "The LORD looks down from heaven on the entire human race; he looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God." I'm sure He watches, waiting for the light bulbs to go off in our heads. I read this Psalm and immediately a few other verses from God's Word pop into my head. A little over a week ago, I tweeted for God to pour out His wisdom on me. My sweet Aunt Joelle was the vessel He used right away. She always has great advice and wisdom for me! (By the way, if you're not following me on Twitter, do it! Not because I have great things to do, but I follow great people with PLENTY of great things to say! One of these people is Aunt Joelle!) Anyway, back to her wisdom. She reminded me of James 1:5 which says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." It's that simple you ask? Well, if God's Word is true and correct, which I believe it is, then yes! I know God is always eager for us to come to him looking for His ways, His wisdom, His direction, His love. Why can't I be wise enough to seek it more often?


A few days ago while I was thinking about and "planning" life things, I was reminded of the Proverb that cautions just that. Chapter 16 reminds us that "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."  I smiled when I read that because I feel my Father's words as He whispers those to me. "Don't worry, don't fret, my child", I imagine Him saying.


One of the last things I did last night before settling in for the evening was make a "list". It's the time of year where school is starting back up, routines are being put back into place, and a new season is arriving. My list consisted of making a schedule for each week that included family activities, Olivia's school schedule, Scott's work schedule, and yes, my dreaded house cleaning schedule. I looked up from the laptop to see all the MESS that has accumulated on the main floor of my house in the last few weeks. We've been SO busy, traveling, camping, etc that my house is beginning to swallow me in it's mess. I immediately felt anxious about it. Thoughts of what the "good housewife" would do rushed through my mind. I felt like a failure, and wanted to re-gain some type of control. So, what did I do? Yep, I made a list. And eventually went to sleep trying to forget about all my "housewife duties" for now. When I opened Proverbs 14 this morning, what was the first verse, "A wise woman builds her home". Once again, another reminder from God that I took to heart.


Here's where I show you my scatter-brained tendencies. I accidentally hit some key on the laptop that took me to a different page and made me think I'd lost everything I had just written. 40 minutes of writing, down the drain. Quickly, I prayed God would do something! I did everything I knew to do, and finally, went to the main page of my blog info where I can see everything about it. God gave me a little miracle when I saw this post sitting in my drafts box. It's the little things like that from God that make me take a deep breath and smile about the Lord's love for me. It's the simple things, I guess!


So bring it on, God. Keep pouring out the wisdom. You know I need it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s