Skip to main content

My first ministry

This morning I clicked on day 2 of a 31-day devotional I'm doing from Pastor Brian Houston of Hillsong Church. Thinking it would be like every other Sunday morning where I'd wake up to find Scott already at church, crawl out of bed to get the kids and myself ready for church, throw some sort of convenience breakfast food at them on the way out to the car (yes, guilty there) and threaten them more times than should be needed to get in their seats so that we could go. Sounds like a sitcom, but I can promise it's never that enjoyable on this end!

As I read through the scriptures I found myself nodding along with all the words I was reading. Two of the verses were from Psalm 112:2 and Proverbs 13:22. Both urged me to recognize the importance of my influence to those around me, specifically my children.  The Word says that if I follow The Lord's commandments that I would be blessed, my children would be blessed, and their children would be blessed.  I was reminded by the verses in Deuteronomy 28 that "in due season" God would water my crop. In due season.  Those three little words can be frustrating. Why? Because they remind us to be patient. They remind us that our timing is not God's timing. In due season, we will reap a harvest. All the work of being a mom will be rewarded, "at the proper time", as the NLT version says. Though most days as a parent, and specifically a mom who has the ability to stay at home with my children while they are small, can be seen as a blessing, there are those days when I'm drowning in messes, pulling my children apart from each other, and correcting the same offense for the hundredth time that it can be hard to see my job as a blessing.  Or for some it may be hard to not see yourself as "just a mom". This is a very real struggle for stay-at-home moms that I plan on writing more on later.

That is when the words of the Psalmist challenge me the most. The goal is for my children to be blessed. If they are blessed, there's no way I am not. They are blessed by me, if I am raising them in the way God commands. What parent isn't blessed when watching our children become blessed? I want my legacy to reach far past my generation, into my children's children.  Again, I am reminded that my first ministry is that of my children.  I often struggle to accept and embrace that calling. Yes, I love my children fiercely and passionately. But as a woman who has discovered the calling on my life, and that being one outside the home, it is oftentimes very easy to overlook my first, and most important ministry-my family.  What good will it be if I lead hundreds of young women into growing relationships with Christ if I haven't done the very same for my own children? What a sad, and irresponsible thought.

So, this morning after finishing my devotional time, my kids screaming in the background, I drag myself out of the bed only to discover that Judah's cold had gotten worse, and Olivia's was still lingering after several days of medication.  In that moment, I had a choice. I wanted desperately to be in the house of the Lord on the first Sunday of a new and exciting year. I could have dressed my children and dragged them out of the house to endure another long, tiring Sunday. Instead, I took responsibility of my first calling, my first ministry-to my family. My family is no good to anyone else if we're not healthy.  Today will be another day spent inside resting, recovering from this busy holiday season, and nurturing my first ministry.  Today is not just another day. It is an opportunity to pour into my family and work at building my legacy so that my children's children would be blessed by me!

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s