Skip to main content

It Brings Forth Life

A friend of mine posted on her blog this morning about how God's Word brings life. In every season, every situation, at any age, forever and ever, God's Word brings life.  Winter has definitely set in here in Alberta, Canada. There are no longer signs of fall; no hope of seeing any color other than white for the next several, and I mean several months! Something I didn't realize before I married a crazy Canadian was how much the weather would affect me. Winter in Canada is WORK! Trees lose their leaves, snow covers the ground, the roads get slick, and the air literally freezes your nose hairs.  Bundling up is some sort of Olympic event in our house! Except in all the chaos, whining, and fit-throwing, we struggle to qualify for this event! It's a comedy show, really. I'll never forget the first time my parents came from Georgia to visit at Christmas. My dad walked through the parking lot of some store we were at taking pictures of all the cars that had plugs hanging out of the front hood. Here, if you don't park your car in your garage overnight, you'll most likely have to "plug it in" so it will start in the morning. Hilarious! My dad couldn't get over that!


One thing I've found surprising here is the number of people who HATE winter. People who are miserable for 7-8 months out of the year. In the states, most people do their holiday trips in the summer when it's warm. Here, people go away in the winter just to get a break from the sometimes unbearable cold.  Seasonal depression is very common here. Don't get me wrong, I love the snow for the first couple of months, especially when you wake up to plenty of it on Christmas morning! I don't know how I went 23 years without getting to experience a truly white Christmas. However, waking up and the sun not being up yet, and having the sun go down sometimes as early as 4:30 in the afternoon month after month can get a little depressing.


Now that I have you all depressed from reading this, I want to tell you what my friend's post this morning reminded me of. After winter is over spring comes. After the snow, the cold, and the impression that everything around you is dead, spring comes forth and brings life with it. Trees begin to blossom, grass turns green again, plants come back to life, or new ones begin to sprout. The air is fresh and full of new life. After all the hard times of winter, spring brings forth life. You can see this physical change in what each season holds, but you can also experience these changes in the seasons of life you go through. All of us go through seasons. I read once where marriages even go through seasons. Spring is the season of new life, things beginning to take place. Summer is the season where relationships grow and things are great. Fall is the season where you begin to sense something might not be right. This is the season where experts warn of the dangers of affairs. Winter is the hard season. Relationships struggle in this season. Many marriages go through these seasons in no particular order, or maybe go from one season to the next back and forth, over and over. Some seasons may not last long; others may last several months or even years.  


Whether your relationships are thriving or suffering right now, know that God's Word brings forth life! After winter, spring comes. Hang on through the tough times to get to see and enjoy the good times just around the corner. 


I snagged this from the blog I mentioned earlier. Read these words and allow them to penetrate your heart. I know they gave me hope. How awesome that we have a Father in heaven that can be all of these things for us.
O Lord, you are my lamp.
The Lord lights up my darkness.

 In your strength I can crush an army;
with my God I can scale any wall.


“God’s way is perfect.


All the Lord’s promises prove true.

He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.
For who is God except the Lord?
Who but our God is a solid rock?
God is my strong fortress,
and he makes my way perfect.
He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
You have given me your shield of victory;
your help has made me great.
2 Samuel 22:29-36

Comments

  1. Awesome Word Stephanie! We miss you guys.. we have had a bunch of sickies round here, but hopefully we will all be on the mend soon!
    Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration, Brandy! We've all been sick too! Scott and Olivia are finally better, but Judah is holding on to his runny nose and nasty cough! We should be at church Sunday night though, hope to see you then!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s