Skip to main content

What if your daughter were caught in human trafficking?

God's been very intentional about placing this subject on my mind and in my heart today. First, when watching my 6-year-old daughter, Olivia, walk out the door on her way to school this morning. After she left I thought, "What if I were never to see her again because she was captured by someone intending to traffic her?" Scary thought, I know. You might encourage me NOT to think about such horrific thoughts. I'm convinced though, that too many of us are REFUSING to think about things like this because we don't WANT to know they happen; and not only in other countries around the world, but in our own backyards. You see, it's EASY to ignore or tune out the cries of the world so that we FEEL better. But just because you ignore the cry doesn't mean it goes away. Watching your young daughter walk out the door and never seeing her again is a reality of millions around our world. Human Trafficking, and the sex trade in particular, is not just a problem overseas. It's here. It's now.

A short time after Olivia left with Scott for school I was watching the Leading & Loving It virtual JustONE Conference. The women speakers for this week's broadcast weren't talking about anything remotely close to human trafficking, but God used something one of them said to remind me again of those trapped in modern-day slavery.  He reminded me of the stigma that many of these girls have placed on them because of the line of work many of them are often forced into: prostitution.  You see, in the past, prostitutes were seen as dirty, untouchable, disgraceful individuals who made wrong choices in life that led them to that profession. I'm guilty of seeing them this way also. Most people would admit to believing that THEY chose their path, it was THEIR decision to lead the life that they do, and it's THEIR fault for whatever harm that comes their way.  With the continuing education and exposure that organizations like The A21 Campaign (http://thea21campaign.org/) are getting, we are learning that all-too-often, that is just not the case. Women, GIRLS, are being STOLEN, LURED, LIED TO and FORCED into prostitution. These are daughters & sisters. What if it were your daughter or your sister? I was convicted in the past about wrongly judging God's children. The Lord quickly reminded me of something I think is very important: am I choosing to see others as God sees them? Am I looking at that teenage girl who's struggling with her identity and dressing for a guy's attention as the daughter of the King that she is? Am I looking at that middle-aged woman who's gone through several relationships looking for what she thinks is true love as the precious child of God that she is?  The saying goes, "Ever saint has a past and every sinner has a future".  God is QUICK to remind me of my past when I begin to wrongly judge another person.

Until we erase the JUDGEMENT and STIGMAS that surround those beautiful daughters of Christ we can never truly help them. Until we take off the earmuffs against the cries of the world we can never truly HEAR the HURT and DESPERATION in their voices. It's time to stop ignoring the stories that don't leave us feeling warm and fuzzy inside. We HAVE to ask ourselves, "what if it were my daughter or my sister caught in human trafficking?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you make "new years" resolutions in August?

I'm not usually one to make specific New Years Resolutions each year. I'm not sure if it's because I usually don't follow through with them or if I'm just not motivated enough to actually sit down and highlight some things in my life I'd like to START or STOP doing. However, I know I fall victim to the thought of "oh, I'll wait til the beginning of a new day, week, month, or year to start...." In this case, I don't want to wait until January comes around again to start a new habit. This year has already flown by too quickly.  My son will be 1 soon, and not long after my daughter turns 6 (although many days it feels like 16). So if I were a "resolution-making" type of person, this would be it. I have had so many ideas/thoughts/goals/plans in the last year that I've put to the side for another time, another day that I fear they're beginning to collect dust.  I love to write. I always have. I remember growing up and loving to

Sorry isn't enough!

So I'm on Day 2 of my Daniel fast. Fruits, vegetables, and water. That's it. Sounds like torture-especially for a "meat and potatoes" kind of girl. I Love fruit-and several veggies too though, so it's not bad (yet). I've also given up facebook.  Scott and I are wanting to grow closer together as well as hear from God about a few specific areas of our life, so I'm devoting these 3 weeks to seeking God, hearing from God, praising God, and being more productive as a wife and mother! This morning I was reading my fasting devotion and it talked about repentance.  "From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" Matthew 4:17 In the Old Testament the word "repent" meant to "be sorry". But in the New Testament, the Greek word means "reconsider or think differently".  It's no longer OK to just "be sorry". We're called, commanded even, to chan

Integrity

I'm going to do my best to write this post in love and not condemnation or criticism. I pray that my heart on this issue will be evident and not misunderstood for something else. I heard a great pastor say about a week ago while he was presenting the congregation with an uncomfortable message "receive this in love". I thought, "what a great way to say what you really think and get away with it b/c you've given the 'love' disclaimer!" But seriously, this has been on my heart for about a year now. I don't know if it's been God that's brought it further and further to the front of my mind in the last month or what, but I felt the need to share. So, receive this in love! Integrity. When most people hear this word they automatically think of the personal meaning of the word. If someone has integrity they have moral or ethical principles.  A more corporate definition of the word as it pertains to the Church or a church ministry is "the s